April 11, 2007

The James Brown Rule

Oops, I mean...


(too soon?)

Definition: Significant Longhorns who played in the '90s and early '00s, after we followed sports but before we cared about Texas. Can be superstars or simply fan favorites.

Examples: James Brown, Casey Hampton, Major Applewhite, Ricky Williams (borderline, because everyone in the country cared about Ricky regardless of team affiliation).

ESPN Classic Reaction: Varies. Includes "Glad I didn't care yet!"; "I vaguely remember my dad telling me something about some school with a hand signal called 'Hook 'em Horns'"; and "Huh, good game. I think I'd like to change the channel, but am strangely unable to do so."

12 comments:

gk314 said...

Mike Adams, tony Brackens, and Lovell Pickney come to mind as well.

Abram said...

I should also have mentioned Priest Holmes...

ben said...

what about phil dawson? james brown once told the daily texan that whenever phil lined up for a FG that he didn't worry b/c "Phil's a good Christian."

ben said...

and how can you forget about richard walton, my senior year next door neighbor, and the architect (inasmuch as the losing QB can be an architect) of the 66-3 debacle against UCLA? he successfully took over for james brown, started 2 games, and then lost the job to major applewhite.

ben said...

and speaking of the major, i hope he has his own rule coming up as well. something along the lines of "wildly successful and confidence inspiring longhorns who took one in the pooper when chris "let's just chuck it up there and hope someone in orange catches it" simms came to town."

Abram said...

Ben: you're clearly still working through some issues, and that's fine. But, thanks to Ben and Greg for being the first people to actually use the comment feature to add to the list! That's the idea!

Also, I defer very much to your expertise in this field. By its nature, I don't know a whole lot about these guys...

Unknown said...

I will always love Chris Mihm.

Abram said...

I will always love Chris Mihm, too; mostly for his face after The Stro Show stuffed him on a dunk attempt in the tourney!

BWS said...

I can't believe you guys made a blog...

gk314 said...

Maurice Evans was incredible his one year from Wichita State, granted he was no Brandy Perryman

Scott said...

Speaking of the Stro show...he is doing a great job in the NBA. He is every team's dream, a player who does not want to play. However, everyone needs to go ahead and order their KD Grizzlies jerseys. The bad news is that I won't be able to get you the employee discount.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.